[CRIU] CRIU LXC Container Live Migration Concerns

Deepak Vij (A) deepak.vij at huawei.com
Fri Apr 25 17:51:38 PDT 2014

Hi Pavel, let me quickly introduce myself. I am a researcher at FutureWei research lab based in Santa Clara. We have been looking at the LXC Containers/Docker as viable lightweight virtualization unit-of-work versus traditional hypervisor based virtualization. From portability of virtual machine perspectives, this is a no brainer. However, one of the concerns we have is due to Kernel incompatibility at the destination machine at the time of live migration of LXC container possibly using CRIU. For example, while doing the live "application process" migration embedded within the container what if someone applies a security patch on the destination machine that changes the underlying Kernel. This can possibly break the restore step as part of the overall checkpoint/restore process.

In contrast to this, hypervisor based virtualization does not have this problem as the whole OS is included in the VM itself.

The scenario I mentioned above is quite common as applying security patches etc. is a common practice. This seems to be our biggest concern.

I would really appreciate if you could throw some light into this. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Deepak K. Vij