[CRIU] "-R" TASK_ALIVE option

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Fri May 3 15:42:15 EDT 2013

On 05/03/2013 11:37 PM, Bhargav Bhikkaji wrote:

> I am completely new to CRIU and trying to checkpoint a process from VM-1 to VM-2, during this process would
> like to continue running the process on VM-1. Version 0.5 has this support with "-R" option during dumping of the process.

This option makes processes continue running _after_ being dumped. During dump process they
are stalled.

> My question is
>
> 1) During this dump (or checkpoint), does the process get's stalled for copy ?.

Stalled for all the time of getting image and writing it on disk. We have in plans patching
dump code to let process be stalled only for a short period of time, while getting the state
from tasks, then let them run and start writing data into image files.

> 2) If the process get's stalled, is a there a way to measure the time it got stalled for my process

Unfortunately we haven't equipped criu with any statistics yet. We will do it eventually,
but if you can help, this would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Bhargav

Thanks,
Pavel