[CRIU] crtools error checkpoint/restore error ("Unable to open pstree.img")

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Tue Mar 26 13:46:27 EDT 2013

On 03/26/2013 09:39 PM, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying it on the sshd process, which is 64 bit executable.
>>From what I understand, checkpointing probably try to traverse
> also other tasks, including 32 bit executable. (Not sure why).

Because when you specify a pid to dump, crtools takes the whole process
subtree, starting from that pid, into action. One of them happens to be
32-bit one.

> Anyhow, is there a process which I can checkpoint without
> trying to checkpoint a 32 bit executable ?

If you're just trying to play with crtools, you may want to start with
the test/zdtm/ or test/app-emu/ directories.

The former contains simple programs, that you have to compile (with
make <program>), run (with make <program>.pid), then dump and restore
and check results (with make <program>.out, cat <program>.out).

The latter contains shell scripts, that run standard stuff like tar, make
and similar and try to c/r it. If you have 64-bit tar and make this
should work.

> Or if I will write a simple
> program which sleeps (for example, calling "pause"),
> will I be able to checkpoint it without the 32 bit compat problem ?

You'll most likely launch it from shell. In this case you'll have to
deal with the fact, that shell and your program will share the session
and crtools will refuse to dump it by default. Please, read about the
--shell-job option at http://criu.org/Advanced_usage before doing so.

> Best
> Kevin

Thanks,