[CRIU] API for criu? (again)

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Wed Jul 3 04:45:27 EDT 2013

On 07/03/2013 03:22 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> Some time back I had asked about this:
>
> http://lists.openvz.org/pipermail/criu/2013-April/008339.html
>
> and then promptly forgot the subject.  Now that f19 is released and has criu, I'm wondering what is the status?

Unfortunately, nothing has changed since then. But as I told, we're ready to discuss ideas
and review patches if any.

> My usage is for programs (with a python main) to be able to periodically checkpoint themselves.  Of course, they
> could simply do that now by 'shelling out'.  But where's the fun in that?

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind about "app to checkpoint itself" is -- how
would CRIU .so tell process' own resources from criu's ones? E.g. memory mapping with
the .so itself can be checked, but how about malloc()-ed objects or opened files?

If you want to do periodic self-checkpoint, maybe the following model would work:

* launch criu daemon/service
* when an app wants to checkpoint itself it "kicks" this daemon somehow, in this case it
  _can_ be a .so which only does necessary communication to the criu service
* daemon calls dump on app's pid

What do you think?

Thanks,
Pavel