[CRIU] CRIU and QEMU/KVM

Andres Toomsalu andres at opennodecloud.com
Mon Jan 21 06:14:04 EST 2013

On 21.01.2013, at 13:02, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:

> On 01/21/2013 02:57 PM, Andres Toomsalu wrote:
>> KVM/QEMU has ofcourse checkpointing for live migration - but I cant find anything suitable
>> for continuous non-blocking checkpointing - Kemari supposed to do that but it seems to be
>> abandoned and I cant find any further developments on that regard. DMTCP allegedly could do
>> this with the help of plugin utilizing KVM kernel driver API - so why not also CRIU in theory
>> (eg cant it be added - what is the blocking issue/design)? There is a publication describing
>> DMTCP approach in detail:  http://arxiv.org/pdf/1212.1787v1.pdf
>
> I see.
>
>> Having kind of hypervisor agnostic checkpointing/restore package would be a great opportunity
>> to build homogeneous cloud HA services around it.
>
> I totally agree with it! We even have this in plans, but in long-term plans. However, if
> someone can participate in this, I would merge the respective code as soon as it's ready.
> But anyone who would try to implement it would have to Keep KVM/QEMU people aware of
> what's going on :)

Sure - but before that it would be nice to understand what are the closest choices. You say that it is in the long-term roadmap - but what it cloud mean technically - what prerequisites are needed in order to implement it?
If I understand correctly DMTCP wraps KVM/QEMU process, records VM start commands - then chechpoints process utilizing KVM kernel driver API in order to transfer kernel side state to userspace - then on restore phase restores KVM/QEMU VM process userspace and replays VM start commands in order to place kernel side VM stuff inplace. Would it be possible in theory to use the same approach with CRIU or it has to be something completely different?