[CRIU] CRIU with CUDA Question

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Thu Aug 8 08:53:55 EDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 04:43 PM, Colin Blair wrote:
> Thank you sir. Attached are the results of my last attempt.
>
> The simple test program initiates the Cuda driver API using the Cuda call cuInit(0),
> iterates to a given time printing out the elapsed time and ends.

So here's the reason of failure (from CRIUrun_errorlog_3143):

(00.005632) Error (files.c:203): Can't dump file 3 of that type [20666]

The program you're dumping has an opened file (with descriptor 3) which is
a character device of a type CRIU doesn't know how to dump.

Currently CRIU knows what to do with /dev/null, zero and alike virtual devices
and with pseudo terminals. Generic character device cannot be "just dump-ed"
as program might have initialized it somehow. So if we just remember the info
about "task has /dev/foo opened" and re-open it on restore, we might get into
non-working situation -- we have to re-initialize it in the same way, so that
restore application may continue to operate on the device.

Apparently this is your case -- you have to investigate how to dump (if it's
needed, I don't know how CUDA works) the state of the character device your
app has opened, save this state into image file, and on restore -- put (in the
device-specific way) this state back into the device.

Hope this helps.

> Colin B

Thanks,
Pavel