[CRIU] pstree C/R problems

Pavel Emelyanov xemul at parallels.com
Thu Sep 27 08:19:31 EDT 2012

>> The problem here is not technical one, ie we can simply allow to continue
>> execution but imagine your program remembered somewhere in local variables
>> own sid and uses it for some needs, and now it's restored with inherited sid
>> which no longer match the value before. Should we continue? To be fair, I
>> don't know. I guess sich behaviour should be allowed IIF some command line
>> option passed to crtools, ie when a user knows what he is doing and forces
>> crtools to continue even with sid changed.
>>

> Yes, changing sid is the least thing we want to see. But I think we can still
> keep the sid as we dumped even if we don't have a session leader root.
> Like I said, a helper for the root may solve this, or maybe other ways, what
> made you think the sid will be changed if we allow this? what do I miss?

On restore time the sid you want to put on your task can be already busy with
some other task.

A good scenario can be -- if crtools were launched with --detach option we can
indeed create an intermediate helper that will be the desired sid leader (and
then die, thus doing both -- session restore and detach). Is that OK for you?