[Announce] Kernel branches status change (stable: RHEL6, frozen: 2.6.27, 2.6.32, devel: none)

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Tue Aug 30 13:17:23 EDT 2011

== Stable: RHEL6 ==

This is to announce that RHEL6-based kernel branch
(starting from kernel 042stab035.1) is now marked
as stable, and it is now the recommended branch to use.

We are not aware of any major bugs or show-stoppers
in this kernel. As always, we still recommend to test
any new kernels before rolling out to production.

New features of RHEL6-based kernel branch (as compared to
previous stable kernel branch, RHEL5) includes better
performance, better scalability (especially on high-end
SMP systems), and better resource management (notably,
vSwap support -- see http://wiki.openvz.org/VSwap).

RHEL6 kernels can be downloaded from
http://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel/rhel6

== Frozen: 2.6.27, 2.6.32 ==

Also, from now we no longer maintain the following
kernel branches:

   * 2.6.27
   * 2.6.32

No more new releases of the above kernels are expected.
Existing users (if any) are recommended to switch to
other (maintained) branches, such as RHEL6-2.6.32 or
RHEL5-2.6.18.

This change does not affect vendor OpenVZ kernels
(such as Debian or Ubuntu) -- those will still be
supported for the lifetime of their distributions
via the usual means (i.e. bugzilla.openvz.org).

== Development: none ==

Currently, there are no non-stable kernels in development.
Eventually we will port to Linux kernel 3.x, but it might
not happen this year. Instead, we are currently focused
on bringing more of OpenVZ features to mainstream Linux
kernels.

Regards,
   OpenVZ team.